Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Why I Always Say “Yes” to Cooking with My Kids — Tiny Chefs

My maternal grandmother was the victory garden planting, canning, and scratch-cooking archetype that hearty grandmother characters are built on, but we were never allowed to help in her kitchen. Instead, we were shooed off to the screened-in porch or cellar steps to trim pole beans or shell sweet peas while she cooked. She was famous for her fried cake donuts. Her recipe died with her 10 years ago because no one learned her mixing and frying techniques.

My own mother, a single mother working her way through graduate school with three young kids, mostly cooked from boxes. In fact, my earliest culinary education was turning on the oven for dinner when we got home from school or making Hamburger Helper on the stovetop.

When I became a mother myself and started cooking for and with my daughter, I set one rule for us: I would never say “no” to her when she asked to help in the kitchen. Whether that means helping with a Wednesday night dinner or a Thanksgiving feast, I would find a way to include her. Five years and another child later, here’s what I’ve learned about including my children in the kitchen and what we both learned in the process.

READ MORE »




from WordPress https://jonathanwilhoite.wordpress.com/2016/12/14/why-i-always-say-yes-to-cooking-with-my-kids-tiny-chefs/

No comments:

Post a Comment