Thursday, February 23, 2017

How Wearing an Apron Transformed My Cooking — Personal Essay

I wish I could say it was Julia Child who inspired me to don my first apron, but it was spaghetti sauce. You know, the kind from a tall jar dumped quickly into a saucepan while noodles boil on a Tuesday night after a long day of work. Even on a low temperature, spaghetti sauce loves to spontaneously spurt and launch tiny sauce bombs upon the tired and unsuspecting.

I also wish I could say it was the first sauce bomb on my blouse that led me to an apron, but I’m a girl who likes to learn things the hard way. After offering up at least a few favorite shirts on the altar of kitchen cooking, it occurred to me that my shirts could be protected with some sort of temporary shield. Maybe something fabric that could loop around my neck and tie around my waist and possibly have a pocket or two? Something, perhaps, kind of like an … apron. Oh, duh.

READ MORE »




from WordPress https://jonathanwilhoite.wordpress.com/2017/02/23/how-wearing-an-apron-transformed-my-cooking-personal-essay/

No comments:

Post a Comment